Saturday, January 21, 2012

Healthy-ish Cake!

My 7 year old begged me for an hour to make him chocolate cake tonight. I kept telling him that we are trying not to have lots of sweets around. Over and over and over he asked me!! So I thought I better get a plan. I have ZERO self control when it comes to baked goods...so I knew there was high risk involved! A couple of weeks ago we made the cake mix and diet soda recipe...I wasn't freaking out. It was OK, but my sweet tooth wasn't fooled! So after reading different "healthy" substitutions...this is what I came up with. The best part? It was yummy! So here we go. I took a regular Pillsbury chocolate cake mix (the moist one with pudding), and substituted all eggs for egg whites, and instead of oil I used 1/2 cup of light sour cream. I added a teaspoon of peppermint extract as well. Mix this all together and then slowly add enough water to make the mix moist and "normal" looking. I cooked it at 350 for 20 minutes. When it came out I sifted a bit (ish)of powdered sugar on top and added some sprinkles for the kids (lightly). We served it warm with a dollop of light cool whip. Seriously, so good and EVERYONE loved it. I don't know exact nutritional info, but I know that I enjoyed it with a little less guilt ;)
 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome I love sub-ing lower fat ingredients! Looks yum :)
    Visiting from COM
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm! I'm hosting a linky party and would love it if you stop by and link up!
    www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! It turned out yummy, I appreciate your fun comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete