Thursday, July 7, 2011

ice diggers

I was looking on some blogs the other day and came across this post http://brandyscrafts.blogspot.com/2010/08/ice-excavating.html. I thought it was such a good idea, but wanted to make mine a little bigger and deeper. I filled some 9 in bread pans with random treasures I found around the house (okay mostly from the junk drawer). I filled the bottom of each pan with small toys and do dads, covered them with water and then froze them for a few hours. Then I pulled them out added another layer of toys and water and stuck them in the freezer over night. I did two layers so that the heavy objects wouldn't all float to the bottom. It worked great and the kids really had fun with it. I gave them tools and they worked on this for a good 45 minutes. It made me laugh how surprised they were by the treasures they found, as if they have never seen them before! I think that this would be fun to do on a bigger scale with some toys from the dollar store!









Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

Confessions Of A Stay At Home Mommy
Classified: Mom

12 comments:

  1. GREAT little activity. I froze dinosaurs and made dinosaur world this week. I love how you thought to do 2 layers great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am kind of new to blog land, but absolutely love being able to share all things creative and fun, thanks for commenting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable idea! Love the two layers:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys would LOVE this! I find figurines in glasses of water in my freezer on a weekly basis. They love to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I would love it if you linked up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now. There is also an awesome giveaway to go with the party, so you should check it out. http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-linky-party-and.html
    I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this idea done with rubber animals, but I love your idea of layering small "treasures" the kids leave around the house - thanks for sharing, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea and it would keep my boys busy for awhile. This will be a project done in my house this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to do this with my girls but after our vacation I plan to have lots & lots of ice filled fun & this is definitely on our To Do list! :)

    Would love for you to link up your fun ideas on my weekly child centered linky party the Sunday Showcase

    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/2011/07/sunday-showcase-child-centered-linky.html

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for linking up to my Tuesday Confessional link party. You were featured so grab a button and get your brag on! http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-kid-friendly-posts.html.
    I can't wait to see what you come up with for this week's party!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute activity--it would melt pretty fast where I live, but my boys would have a blast chipping the ice away to discover treasures inside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for stopping by & linking up to the Sunday Showcase. I am going to incorporate your idea into our upcoming dino theme - seems like a cool way to dig for dinosaurs!

    Hope to see you this week at the Sunday Showcase

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete